Thursday 2 July 2020

Christmas in July 2020 day 2 / Noël en juillet 2020 jour 2


CIJ day 2 / jour 2

B - BAKING
To me there is lots of baking associated with Christmas.  Of course, nowadays, I bake less as we are now empty-nesters but some traditions continue. 
Isn’t it fun to be in house that smells like pies, cookies, bread? (not that I bake bread 😉)
For the holidays, I usually make fudge (the Carnation classic five-minute fudge recipe)
Ingredients
1 2/3 cups400 ml granulated sugar
2 tbsp30 ml butter
1/2 tsp2 ml salt
2 cups500 ml miniature marshmallows
1 1/2 cups375 ml semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 tsp5 ml vanilla extract
1/2 cup125 ml chopped walnuts (optional)

Directions
  1:  Line 8-inch (2 L) square baking pan with waxed paper; set aside
  2:  Combine sugar, evaporated milk, butter and salt in medium saucepan; bring to rolling boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil 4 to 5 minutes or until mixture starts to thicken. Remove from heat. Stir in marshmallows, chocolate chips, vanilla and nuts (if desired) until marshmallows and chocolate melt and blend.
  3:  Pour into prepared pan. Chill until set 4 hours or overnight. Cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) squares. Store in refrigerator in sealed container.

I now make these in November and freeze them – the keep a long time and are delicious!
I also make thumbprint cookies, rice-Krispy squares, date squares and 2 more desserts which change from year to year.
Last year I omitted the thumbprint cookies…. My daughter said it wasn’t Christmas without them, so they are back on the list for this year!

4 comments:

  1. It's fun to have a set of baking recipes that your family associates with Christmas. Your line-up sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you. I love to bake, especially at Christmas. Each year my adult kids say "don't bake so much, we don't need to eat sweets". But I do anyway. And somehow it all gets eaten.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love fudge! We do a Fannie May recipe that was in the newspaper years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're making me want some fudge! I never knew you could freeze it. I'll have to try that.
    Your daughter made me laugh. My kids used to always say - "You have to make it. It's a tradition!" Even if I made it one year, it was a tradition. :)

    ReplyDelete