Monday 26 December 2022

Happy Homemaker 2022-12-26

 Hope you get to rest and relax this week before New Year's Eve

Recap of last week

Saw the doctor last Wednesday night.  He said yes it is bronchitis but so much inflammation that I need treatment.  So got some ventolin air pump, antibiotics and cortisone for 10 days.  I am in my 4th week of this darn respiratory virus and had covid just before that.

I had gone to bed a few times during the day, had told boss , doing emergencies only for telework.

Started feeling a wee bit better on Saturday but the last few days were the roughest.  No sleeping and coughing all day and night.  at least I'm on the mend now.  I can sleep a few hours a night.

Friday my sis, bil, mom & dad, brother and 2 children arrived in the afternoon before the big forecast of snowstorm and winds.  Lucky they did because the river overflowed the road in a few places in the afternoon.  Electricity was cut off twice X 2hours.  Luckily we got to make supper and do dishes in between the 2 cut offs.  My sis did most of the work as was not well.

Saturday my other brother, sil and her daughter arrived in the afternoon.  Had nice family time even though I did not talk much because I had not breath and sore throat and coughing.  I put on the mask everytime I coughed.  We all left for my son's house around 3:30 with tons of food and gifts.  We spent evening there with ddil's family also (and their 2 dogs + my son's dog).  Santa came and the children had waaaaayyyy too many gifts.  DH had a little too much to drink (he does not tolerate more than 2 glasses of liquor..so too much is still not that much), so he was not feeling well and slept on a couch by 9:00.  Since I was still under the weather and parents were tired we all left around 11:00, roads were so-so, good thing it wasn't far.  My brothers stayed longer and came back around 2:15 am.  I'm glad they all had fun.

Sunday my brothers left in the am - my niece was working at 2:00 and it is a 3 hour drive.  Other brother had family supper on his fiancé's family.  Parents, sis & bil left after dinner.  Gave them a tray of desserts to bring to my uncle's house were they were going for supper.  I was feeling a little better so in the afternoon we went to ds' house for a few hours to visit with ddil's family (they were staying there for the weekend) and came back here around 6:30.

We were lucky only to have 4 hours of power outage.  street right next to us was out from Friday to Sunday night.  We had winds with gusts at 120 km/hour at some point.  the strong winds lasted about 30 hours .  Not that much snow but lots of roofs had bits blow up and most tempo garages flew away.

The house wasn't bad as everyone picked up before leaving and sis took care of everything.  Today I vac'd, dusted and took down Christmas in kitchen, kitchenette, bathroom and hallway.  Did upstairs laundry and washed my bedding.  DH did the mopping as I was out of breath.  We went to the small local mall and I got 2 small trees to add in my bay window at 50% and a Christmas owl for sil where we will be going on the 31st and another Christmas bauble (probably will be giving to ddil).

It was a nice Christmas but very different from our usual (at mom's with extended family).  It was much less stressful for me as for the 1st time in forever I can start taking down Christmas slowly (usually I was hosting on NY's Eve for the family but won't have them drive here 2 weeks in a row 3-hours each way).  No real feast to plan so we had whatever we felt like.  I had alot in the freezer.  Spaghetti, lasagna, veggie potage, etc...  So much less dishes than usual and everyone in casual so less frenzy for the bathrooms to get prepped before guest arrive...It would have been great if I had been able to interact more and enjoy without feeling puny.


Let's join Sandra at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom .  - 



The weather
Mon
Snow showers
-9°
-10°
Tue
Snow showers
-7°
-15°
Wed
Snow showers
-3°
-4°
Thu
Snow showers
-1°
-4°
Fri
Showers

On my mind 
Health and healthy choices for 2023.  Finding my word of the year.  Planning.
I still haven't given my children their gifts, was waiting to have them all here at the same time but dd was in her boyfriend's family at Christmas.

Upcoming this week
Have not yet decided if we will meet ds, ddil & grandkids at dd's on the 28th.  
Going to my parent's house at some point and NY'S eve at brother's house.

On the breakfast plate
Millet porridge and oat milk with blackberries

On my reading pile
Une promesse pour Noël by Fern Michaels

On my tv
Have not watched anything


Interesting youtube vlog I saw this week





On the menu this week
Leftovers.  Ham.

From the camera:

Don't have any Christmas pictures yet so I'll put them up later.


Looking around the house

Starting to go back to 'normal' slowly.  Still lots to do and finding lots of areas to declutter after the Holidays

On my to-do list
  • Cleaning
  • Undecorating - trying to put a room per box so it'll be easier to put up next year.
Decluttering
  • 2 Christmas garlands
  • Silver branches for decor
  • 1 pj bottom
  • Snowman earrings (given to niece)
  • Book light (given to niece)
  • Christmas pin (given to mom)
To relax this week or In my crafting basket 
REST

Quote of the week








2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had some good quality family time despite not feeling well. LOVE your funny Grinch cartoon! Hope the weather doesn't get any worse or cause any more outages! Feel better and have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, that quote of the week made me laugh. Glad you had a nice holiday, so sorry you were still not feeling well though. Hope you are able to rest up this week and feel MUCH better to kick off the new year. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete