CIJ day 19 / jour 19
A healthier Christmas dessert today.
Dark chocolate sea-salt almonds
Source : http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2015/08/24/healthier-treat-dark-chocolate-sea-salt-almonds/
· 6 ounces bittersweet or semi-sweet high quality chocolate
· sea salt
· turbinado sugar (or any coarse/raw sugar)
1. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
2. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or (carefully!) use the microwave. For the microwave, place the chocolate in a medium heat-proof bowl. Melt in 30 second increments, stirring after each increment until completely melted and smooth. Alternatively, you can temper the chocolate. If tempering, do not store finished nuts in the refrigerator.
3. Stir the almonds into the chocolate, making sure to coat each one. Using a dipping tool or a fork, lift the almonds out of the chocolate one by one or only a couple at a time (you don't want them all sticking together!), gently tap the tool/fork against the side of the bowl to release excess chocolate, and place onto prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining almonds.
4. Sprinkle almonds with a little sea salt and turbinado sugar, then allow chocolate to completely set. I placed the baking sheet in the refrigerator to speed it up!
5. Store chocolate covered almonds in the refrigerator for up to 4 weeks.